Friday, March 14, 2008

Upon Further Review... Little Has Changed

Ten days after Gov. Huckabee was defeated in the Republican primaries of Ohio and Texas, some of my anger has subsided. My disgust has not.

A friend who is a Republican asked me if I would now support Sen. McCain in the general election. My initial response to him was that perhaps Sen. McCain should seek support among those who believe like he does: those who support amnesty for illegal immigrants, those who opposed the Bush tax cuts, and those who support embryonic stem cell research. (I then noted that most of those voters are already supporting either Barack Obama or Hillary Clinton.)

The Republican party continues to ignore the Sanctity of Life issue... after years of tolerating a pro-choice Republican in Deb Pryce, my district has nominated yet another pro-choice Republican in Steve Stivers. Stivers' opponent in the primary was Robert Wagner, who also ignored the entire Sanctity of Life issue on his campaign website. Again pro-life voters had and have no congressional candidates to vote for in Ohio's 15th District. It's quite the irony that there is no "choice" on the Sanctity of Life issue for Ohio's 15th District.

The issues that are most important to me and which led me to support Gov. Huckabee for President were the Sanctity of Life, support of the FairTax, and decreasing the size of government. The Republican Party does not seem to have learned anything from their free-spending ways which led to their defeats in 2006.

I don't see myself supporting either Sen. McCain nor Steve Stivers in the fall. There's just not much difference between their positions and those of their Democratic opponents in the issues which matter the most to me.

1 comment:

BDBopper said...

Dear Mike Huckabee Blogger,

Brett Passmore and Tommy Brents, formerly of HucksArmy, have begun an effort to bring together values voters accross America. Please take a moment to review the general welcome message from the main page of our site:

Faith Family Freedom
http://www.f3coalition.org